Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Rijeka / Fiume

Having dined so well just past Pesek in the Flora restaurant, we decided to return for an early lunch and taste again their delicious Goulash. We were lucky to get a table and I had Goulash and Jim had a mixed grill. Contorni were roast potatoes and soggy vegetables but I was so glad to get veg I ate a fair amount. Both contorni would have done at least 5 people. On leaving we took a picture of the pig on the spit and wondered would Carol like to have her wedding here - the prices would be reasonable!


As we journeyed through Slovenia into Croatia, we noticed that pig on the spit is very common. Does Carol really want something common? We made our way to Rijeka and parked our car outside Nina 2, a boat moored on the harbourfront recently refurbished and offering daytime drinking and lots of night-time action including house DJs and live bands. We are too old for the likes of that! At least we had a landmark and would easily find our car on our return from checking out the place. We were in need of coffee but the first place refused us - we had only eure no Kuna! Kuna acquired, we had coffee and enough Kuna to do for car parking.


















Fortified by coldish coffee (a norm really in these countries) we toured the town.





Irish pub disguised as Celtic Cafe!



Distinctive 2 headed eagle as opposed to Roman eagle which had only 1 head. At some stage a head was removed to make it more like the Roman eagle.


20 comments:

  1. I am a fiume in new jersey. My name is nick. Maple Shade area. I have the royal toe on both feet. Mortons toe. But no chronic pain disease! I have a fiume hoodie sweat shirt with a kings crown a shield two olive branches tied together by a italian ribbon! Weird occurrences my whole life with weather found out of a zeus lightning god. Weird and at atlantic city i felt like the statue but no name. I found out it was zeuses brother Neptune the underwater god with the three pointed staff. Funny i always see the earth and the universe in my eyes. I was fu##ed with and the star of the sea is around me! I read about the star of the sea and it feels exactly like the feeling around me now but now its severly worse! I am 36. Imagine that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ya i pick up on lightning around the earth my whole life hitting people. But i cant prove it! Now i am wondering who is the god of asteroids! Is there one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First zeus. Now this past- summer neptune.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something about phillipines? Before it happened!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where the earthquake got them! What did they do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt just like the statue , and that feeling was around me for the past seven years! I got home and googled it and found out it was a man named neptune. Brother zeus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mythical gods. I saw a mythical bird in my back yard at 8,000 feet. A 32' hawk

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are not suppose to exist!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And bald eagles on the delaware river.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Albino bald eagle sighted in philadelphia over fourth of july 2015-it hangs out in my back yard! In cutler. It was real hungry. When i first saw it i thought smokey and the bandit hood emblem to a T . the scrwamin chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cutler ave-zip code 08052. Sorry screamin chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trying to post a picture. I would like to visit rijecka one day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Trying to post a picture. I would like to visit rijecka one day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I understand the land is judged by the weather. And punished accordingly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even by planetary movement etc!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I understand these things naturally!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1200 year old royal blood line! I understand! I dont know why! But i understand!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fiumes come from rijecka. I thought- Maybe you people would understand.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know i dont have a crown or castle!

    ReplyDelete