Friday, September 27, 2013

Muggia by boat

I had almost run out of credit on Gloria's chiavetta internet (internet key - dongle?). Gloria had pointed out a tobacco shop where, she has assured me, I could get the key "recharged". I could see that it was possible to do it online but could not understand the Italian instructions. So first thing we headed to the tobacconist's. The lady there had no English so other than wave my dongle at her in an effort to be understood, there was little I could do. I finally understood that she was suggesting I go to a TIM shop (like Vodafone) and I would get sorted there. This meant a change in our plans. Instead of going to Opicina which required a car (or bus if we wanted) we would go into the city, find TIM, sort my dongle and then take the boat to Muggia. The Tourist Office directed us to the nearest TIM and there the man told me that more internet access would be automatically paid for by Piero's credit card. Sounded fine - am even tempted to forget to return the dongle and head over to Tuscany with it. I emailed Gloria later requesting permission and promising her the 10 euro further coverage is going to cost.

We were slightly early for the boat to Muggia and we could not find the mooring spot as there was no sign. I went into a little portside cafe and asked the woman there. Unfortunately she had little English but I managed to make my need understood. I thought she was quacking in response as she pointed saying "Qua" several times. I took it that she meant "Over there" and over there we went and waited and assured a group of English visitors that it was qua. But it was more like 100 metres from qua! While waiting, Jim amused himself by watching a yellow boat that seemed to be hoovering in the harbour.



When the boat arrived we got on the front and enjoyed our trip across.


There wasn't much to see but the weather was nice. I found myself thinking that Jim and I could do a Titanic moment but restrained myself as the other passengers might get upset!

We arrived in Muggia which is the last part of Istria still in Italian territory. It is a small town with ancient roots. The characteristic Lion of Saint Mark is present throughout the city.

The Castle on the hill

The Duomo dedicated to Saints John and Paul


A strange thing on the altar


The City Hall


















 Having had an almost cold cappuccino (coffee is seldom hot in Italy, Slovenia or Croatia we have found) in a cafe in Piazza G. Marconi, we proceeded to follow one of the Percorsi Muggesani around the historic Centre. I'm sure, with correct knowledge and sufficient interest, this would have been wonderful.


A statue in the small Church of the Visitation




Incongrously modern sculpture!


We finally felt a bit peckish and went in search of somewhere to eat searching along the quays knowing that good fish would be available. We stumbled upon L'Ittiturismo and, realising it was a fisherman's cooperative, thought we could get a good bargain in good fish here. We had turbot for 2 caught that morning - delicious, quite pricy but turbot always is.


From our table we watched fishermen gut their fish, box them in ice and put them in the fridge.






















We couldn't see much else to do around Muggia so we took the 2.35 boat back to Trieste. I'm sure we missed loads but we were satisfied enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment