Monday, October 12, 2015

Bluff to the Grand Canyon

We set off very early, 7.45 am to be precise, to back track again on our way to the Grand Canyon. We had no problem with this as the scenery is beautiful and you could never get tired of those gigantic rock forms. In places they look like giant fortresses and I suppose to some extent they were used as that. They must have been great climbers in the past!





This is the San Juan river at Mexican Hat.













From Kayenta to Tuba City the landscape was largely uninteresting and I have to confess that I fell asleep for a little while. Eventually we came to Cameron and the historic Cameron Trading Post. Its popularity has caused it to become huge including a hotel and restaurant. It was packed with things Indian handmade but I also spotted some stuff from Pakistan that you could be lured into buying thinking you were getting original local stuff. We had a coffee and comfort stop and off we went again.


By now we had come to the Little Colorado River Gorge, where, for a donation, we were allowed to Navajo Tribal Park to get some fantastic views of the deep, narrow gorge that cradles the Little Colorado River. The Spanish and Mexicans had named this river the Rio Colorado Chiquito (Little Red River). In the Navajo creation myth, this channel worked with the Colorado River to protect Changing Woman during Creative Time. It was said that the stream turned red and salty by the blood of Changing Woman's first menstruation. The Little Colorado joins the Colorado River at the south end of Marble Canyon where the Grand Canyon begins.

























           And if you see them what are you supposed to do? I know Jim would just take a photo!



















That was a very nice taster for the Grand Canyon which I already had mixed feelings about. One man at one of our motels said it was just a big hole and not as nice as Bryce Canyon I didn't really want to hear that as Bryce Canyon is not on our list!


The entry to the Grand Canyon National Park South Rim is just before you reach Desert View Visitor Centre. There are a number of overlooks near the road where you can stop and a short stroll takes you to the barriers. Desert View is well set up for visitors with a general store, snack bars, restrooms etc. It is nicely set out and you can wander about as well as taking in the views. There was a whole lot of ionformation about this tower which I didn't take in as it was not as impressive as the Grand Canyon - yes, it is much more than a hole!!





Jim's photos can not do the depth and the colours and the shapes justice. It is overwhelming!







































A bit disheveled I have to say. You'd think I could do better on this special day!!

           I wonder do they have little notices in snake language saying don't harm the humans?



                                       Jim is looking sooo happy to be at the Grand Canyon!






















At some stage between here and getting to the Grand Canyon Visitor Centre near Grand Canyon Village I developed a migraine, brought on by the light of the bright sun flashing between the trees. I have always been susceptible to migraine from flashing lights but it has been years since I have had one as bad as this. I popped the pills and held on to Jim any time I left the car. I could feel the pitying glances from people as they observed this fat old woman fulfilling her dying wish to see the Grand Canyon.  And I knew they admired the not so young man by my side who would do anything for me in the last days we had together!

The first white-tailed deer that we saw (sorry, Jim saw as I wasn't seeing again yet) is obviously quite domesticated and seems to have taken up residence in the hustle and bustle of the Grand Canyon Visitor Centre.








We went in to the film about the Grand Canyon in the auditorium because it was dark and I could sit. Jim watched and I fell asleep. Jim swears I didn't snore but I have recollections of emitting the odd snort!

We could have taken a shuttle to some other lookout points that are only accessible by shuttle but I was all Grand Canyoned out and all I needed was a bed. We said goodbye to the resting deer and headed on our way to our next overnight in Flagstaff.

No comments:

Post a Comment