Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Friday May 24th 2019 - Puno to Cusco by bus

Breakfast on 6th floor again so gave it a miss as we were leaving at 7.40. Henry got a taxi for 3 people and some luggage. Charlotte, Phil (because he understood Spanish and had the strength to haul suitcases) and I were the lucky ones. It was an eventful taxi ride as we were not sure the taxi driver was going the right way. At any rate he brought us to the bus station where we had to wait 15 minutes for the local bus which was taking us on an 8 hour journey. The bus was very comfortable with plenty of space. We made our way uphill out of Puno with a view of Lake Titicaca down below. In one hour we passed through "the crazy town" and an hour later stopped in a village where we could get a sandwich. An hour later again we would be passing the highest point where there is a glacier which feeds one river going to Lake Titicaca and another going towards the Amazon.




































The scenery throughout the journey was beautiful with mountains, rivers and small lakes.































































































































We arrived at Cusco at about 4.30 pm and rushed from the big bus to a little bus. 10 minutes later we were at our accommodation in an old colonial house. I was exhausted and close to tears. Those doing the hikes (Inca trail and Lares trail) had to go to G Adventures office to get sorted out with equipment. We met up again at 6.30 pm and walked to the square - Plaza de Armas. While there we saw a fireworks display - not sure what was being celebrated. Opposite the Cathedral the skyline was decorated with lights. Then we went for dinner which involved a short walk uphill. Dinner was good but I just felt sick. I had lamb (slow cooked) and beans which was tasty but ate little of it. Henry was at the same table as Jim and myself so we had good fun. Charlotte and Sarah were at a different table. We walked back to the hotel even though Sarah wanted to go for a drink but that involved climbing stairs and I couldn't face it. I would have preferred if they had gone and let me just go back to the hotel but no! I felt like a right pain in the ass spoiling everyone's holiday. I felt bad enough physically but feeling I was a burden only made it harder. I would have camouflaged how bad I felt but it was taking all my energy just to breathe and stay upright.

Lack of sleep was becoming a problem too. I was sleeping ok but was awoken by a mobile phone - Jim's. He couldn't figure out what the sound was and just put it in the bathroom where it continued to ring. I had a look and discovered that he had somehow turned on the alarm!


No comments:

Post a Comment