Saturday, June 11, 2016

En route to Calvisson with overnight in Montauban

Following our 2 days with Danielle, we made our way in a rather roundabout but scenic way to Mantauban, our next stopover. En route we travelled along the Dordogne and revisited La Roque Gageac, a pretty village along the Dordogne where we had spent a holiday in a gite with Brian and Carol when they were young. We saw the gite, above a shop with a balcony from which we had watched the fireworks on August 15th I think and from where I watched Jim, Brian and Carol kayaking along the Dordogne - I was taking care of the money and the keys in case of emergencies!

Our, again 2 star, hotel in Montauban, was just a 10 minute walk from the city/town centre so we set off to get something to drink and to suss out possible eateries.



We got the drink but were really less than successful at finding somewhere to eat - however, it was before 7pm which is much too early for restaurants. There was a Brasserie Normande that was a bit grotty and then, on some square that I’ve forgotten the name of, we thought there might be possibilities but they all closed in the evening. At one of these establishments I enquired about restaurants and got some useful advice which included a restaurant called “Cave o Delices” which looked more like a little cafĂ©. There were just a few tables inside the door but downstairs in the Cave (cellar) there were quite a few more. It was fantastic! Again we opted for a single course and were rewarded with an absolutely delicious amuse bouche - mushroom puree with foie gras ice cream, topped with pain d’epice (little squares of spicy bread). We loved it. Jim had a risotto de ble with roasted cod and diced spring vegetables and I had fillet of pork with a beetroot jus and celeriac cooked two ways. We were in Heaven!

We were shortly in Hell! On our return to the hotel we were swiftly made aware that the evening could be less than peaceful. Obviously this was a favourite “resting” spot for school tour groups and we were, literally, bowled over by their exuberance as we made our way to our room. Needless to say it was girls, chitterchattering at top volume and racing one another to rooms or the lift. Almost upending me did not entail an  apology, just a slight “oops” recognition that it was not acceptable. This was followed by periodic knocks on our door with a final one, the last straw for me, catapulting me, dressed only in my nightie, and Jim, in his pyjamas, to the door to loudly exclaim “Zut alors! Ca suffit! Arrete de tapper a la porte”,  Jim, sans francais, looked uncomfortably on and restrained himself from dragging me inside by the nightdress. I think I got the wrong person but maybe not. At any rate I retreated meekly and, in the morning, when I saw said people, I retreated from the dining room to sort the case and returned when the coast was clear!


No comments:

Post a Comment