Sunday, November 28, 2010

Journey from Whangamata to Hamilton

Same gorge as below.
One of the tunnels on Windows Walk at Karangahake Gorge along a disused narrow gauge mining railway.
Walk at Karangahake Gorge between Waihi and Paeroa.
Gold Mine at Waihi.

Don't think I told you about our journey from Whangamata to Wellington. The Pittams were determined that we would make the day memorable rather than simply get in the car and go from A to B as Jim is inclined to do.

En route we stopped at Waihi, a small gold mining town where we were able to do a walk around the gold pit. This is set amid beautiful mountains - in fact the mine is the remains of one mountain. We stopped in Poirua for lunch where we had been instructed to try the local sof drink, L and P - lemon and poirua. We never actually discovered what poirua is. It would be a little like someone trying Football Special in Ballybofey.

Our next stop was at the Karangahake Gorge which is quite spectacular from the road and brilliant for walks. Here I had the first real opportunity to use my recently purchased walking pole. Brian Pittams had extolled the virtues of walking poles when he was in Ireland and he finally persuaded me that it would give me the balance that I obviously require. So, well-balanced, I confidently strode over the uneven terrain of Karangahake gorge. I have since been tempted to use the pole as a weapon but have just about managed to restrain myself.

We arrived at Ngaghahapouri to Tina Gandel's house which is deep in the country - I could live there! However, Jim could not manage the sheep so I reckon Raphoe suits him better!

No comments:

Post a Comment