Monday, February 22, 2021

Friday May 30th 2019 - Machu Picchu

 Early morning came early - 3.40 am for me, 4.10 am for Jim. By 5.20 we had left our duffle bags in the accommodation and were on our way downhill to the bus for Machu Picchu. It was a 30 minute journey winding uphill and it would have been spectacular had we been able to see. on arrival there was a long queue and only for Jim supporting me I would have collapsed. The entire group were intent on climbing high in the monument but Henry brought me to what he called 'the easy way' from where he pointed out where I would rejoin the group. I was just settling myself to the amazing views when Charlotte joined me having decided that the steps were too steep and rickedy for her. It was great because I now had company. We sat on the bench for a while and then made our way to The Temple of the Sun where we sat for an hour. Getting there was extremely difficult for me as I was not only breathless but dizzy from the altitude. I had dropped to my hands and knees when a member of staff came to assist me. He became my angel for my time there, as any time I made an effort to move on he was at my side to assist - I could not have managed without him!

Jim managed the climb, but admitted it was difficult and he did have a fall. Most of the photos are from his viewpoint.

































































This is the Temple of the Sun. It has some of Machu Picchu's finest stone work and is the only circular building.
























Charlotte and I had sat here for at least an hour. It was just beside a water fountain. During that time several guided groups arrived. It was fascinating that the talk each guide gave was totally different.








The Temple of Three Windows.












The Principal Temple - so named because of its large size. It is a three-sided building with beautifully cut stone and enormous foundation blocks.










When it came time to go back and rejoin the group my "angel" was there with much appreciated help to get me back to level ground. I had had time to fish out some money to give him a well-deserved tip.






Back at the entrance we got a bus immediately to Aguas Calientes and had a leisurely lunch before getting the train to Ollantaytambo. 





The restaurant where we had lunch - obviously much appreciated by all nationalities!













Back on the train we resaw the Urubamba river, the agricultural terraces, Mount Veronica etc. of our outward journey the previous day























En route on the train the attendants did a fashion show for us - it was amazing, very enjoyable and the clothes were absolutely gorgeous but very expensive. It began with a story about a local devil, Saqra, and then a screaming and dancing creature appeared in the aisle. This preceded each individual item of fashion.








The "devil" dancing with Sarah.






The quality of wool in these jumpers was amazing.




















Back in Ollantaytambo, after a tuk tuk drive from the station, we had 2 hours to wait for those who had done the Inca trail so we relaxed over coffee and observed the comings and goings of the locals in the square. We arrived in Cusco after our bus journey and got a taxi downhill to our hotel. Henry gave us a list of what we would need in the jungle and then we went to the Inka Grill for a starter and then to bed.









No comments:

Post a Comment