Saturday, October 2, 2010

First day in Hoi An

I've just noticed that Hoi An is an anagram of Hanoi - I must ask Phuong about that tomorrow. Yes, I have been spelling his name wrongly! Anyway, early breakfast - 5.30 am - and off to the airport for our flight to Danang. Jim can do flying this way - give your passport to the leader and do what he says - no thinking, no worrying! 40 mins. bus drive to Hoi An and then allocated rooms in a really nice hotel not far from all the shops where you can have suits etc. and shoes made at very reasonable prices. Jim is having none of it - he doesn't need any clothes!! He's just told me that he nearly bought a tee shirt - but he didn't! We had torrential torrential rain so my hat is looking very sorry indeed but my cheap Regatta waterproof (?) walking shoes from Muff have done very well. Less well is the hair - much much worse than a bad hair day!

We have just returned from a cookery course with Hanh and forever after Jim will be "hot boy" - his love of spicy food of course - and I am "Fing" - much better than "Figment" or "Fifi"! It was hilarious and the food we cooked was great so you can all look forward to some Vietnamese cooking. Tomorrow we are doing an hour's cycling tour and after that we rest!!

Fortunately Jim's camera has survived but photo opportunities are limited as Jim doesn't want to get the camera wet again. It has not been possible to include any photos so far - time constraints and the fact that sometimes I can't use my notebook. Today for instance I couldn't get either the cheese (Jim's name) or Internet Explorer and I have had great difficulty accessing anything on the hotel's computers. But a bit of suspense is good!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Fionnuala and Jim,
    Finally we have caught on that we had the wrong address, fjkings, instead of jfkings. Suppose we just assumed the f would be first! ( Sorry Jim)
    Really enjoying your blog. Sounds really interesting. Never a dull moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr. “Hot Boy” Jim Don’t you be spending too much dosh now. On second thoughts . . . GO ON, SPEND, SPEND, SPEND! ! I must say I’m looking forward to my gift(s).
    Vietnam sounds amazing Fionnuala. I can’t wait to hear your stories on your return. We might need to put Hot Boy in Quarantine on his return It’s the beard, you see. It may be full of hundreds of families of microscopic critters. So I’ll see you about six months post return. All the best. Take care of each other and keep healthy and happy. Xxxx Nan

    ReplyDelete